Friday, August 29, 2008

Pizza tricks

When I was growing up, Friday night was always pizza night. Its something we often have if we are home on Friday nights. Lately I've been trying to perfect my homemade pizza making technique. I love very thin, kind of crusty and chewy pizza with a minimal amount of toppings.I have recipes to make dough and I'm sure someday I'll do that more. For right now, I just pick it up at the gourmet grocery store that is on my way home from work. I don't use a pizza stone (cause I don't have one and also because I prefer it cooked on a cookie sheet). Here are my tricks I've learned along the way.

1) Grease the cookie sheet with PAM. I haven't always done this, but it helps
2) Turn the oven up as high as it can stand. I do this in an effort to recreate the woodfire pizza style of pizza. It cooks the pizza quicker and gives it a chewier crust and gets the cheese all golden-y
3) When heating the oven, place an oven safe casserole dish full of water in the oven and leave it in while cooking the pizza. This also adds to the woodfire pizza effect by adding steam, similar to how big sourdough loaves are baked. Its really makes a difference in the crust.
4) Brush olive oil on the crust before putting on the pizza sauce. I've tried olive oil on top and it just doesn't work
5) Use very little sauce (like 1/3 cup or two good sizes spoonfuls)
6) Grind fresh pepper on top of the made pizza
I wish I knew how to jeep basil from getting scorched when I make margherita pizza. Maybe I need to put it on later in the cooking process. What are your pizza tips?

2 comments:

camby said...

so you like your pizza "punch" style? mmm, i love punch pizza!

MsAmanda said...

mmmm, punch. that is exactly what I try to recreate.