Monday, August 18, 2008

Banana bread

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes from my childhood.

Banana Bread
2/3 C butter (2/3 C=10 1/2 T)
1 2/3 C sugar
3 eggs
1 1/4 C mashed bananas (6 or 7)
2 1/4 C flour
1 1/4 t baking powder
1 1/4 t baking soda
1 t salt
2/3 C buttermilk (I use dry buttermilk)
2/3 C nuts (I skip the nuts)

Cream butter and sugar. Blend in eggs. Add bananas and mix well (I mash with a hand mixer). I always use very ripe, dark skinned bananas that I freeze until I'm ready to use them.

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. I also add a liberal amount of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves. If using dry buttermilk, you can add that to the dry ingredients and just use water in the next step.

Add dry mixture to flour, alternating with buttermilk. Stir in nuts if using. Pour into greased angel food pan (my mom's way) or bundt pan (my way). Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

This recipe freezes very well and travels well if you are visiting someone. We had it this weekend when we had out of town guests. YUM.

No comments: