Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Southern Green Beans

When I think of comfort foods I think of stuff my mom makes, stroganoff, vegetable soup, and goulash. While I love this stuff, most of it relies heavily on McCormick seasoning packets. McCormick will always have a special spot in my heart (and cupboard) but I'm pretty sure you can read the packet yourself. So I will share a recipe that I crave on a regular basis but isn't something from my family.

1 lb of green beans, ends trimmed (fresh are best but whole frozen also work)
1/2 lb bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
3/4 c. of chicken broth (canned works fine but in this case I prefer powdered bullion)
1 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP red wine vinegar

Brown the bacon till nice and crisp, drain on a paper towel. Pour out all but 2 TBSP of the bacon grease out of the pan, cook onion on medium heat till soft and slightly golden. Add green beans, broth, and sugar to the pan, bring to a boil and cover. Cook till beans are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes, remove the lid and reduce the liquid to a few tablespoons (not soupy). Add vinegar, bacon and black pepper to taste. These beans are a little sweet and sour with a nice saltiness from the bacon, mmmmm.

3 comments:

MsAmanda said...

yum! sounds so good.

sara said...

Those do sound good! Bacon and green beans are such a yummy combo!

MsAmanda said...

I made these on Sunday night, they were really tasty! my only problem was that I cooked them for too long (I was making sauce, mashed potatoes and these beans at the same time and had trouble coordinating all my times:) Very good!