Friday, May 29, 2009

Orange Pineapple Muffins

FINALLY I'm posting something after way too long of an absence:) I made these muffins 2 weekends in a row, once for brunch with friends and once when my parents were in town and they were quite tasty. The recipe calls for a mini-muffin pan, which I used, and they were the perfect little bite.

I got this recipe from the Joy Of Baking website: http://www.joyofbaking.com/muffins/OrangePineappleMuffins.html

Muffin Batter:
1/2 cup (50 grams) pecans, toasted and chopped (I skipped the pecans)
2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt ( I used sour cream)
1 teaspoon pure orange extract (I used vanilla extract in one batch and almond extract in another and was glad I did b/c I think they might be a bit too orange-y for me otherwise)
1 tablespoon orange zest (1-2 oranges) (I used 1 orange)
1 - 8 ounce (227 grams) can crushed pineapple, drained

Orange Glaze:
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh orange juice

I made the glaze with confectioners sugar and a couple tablespoons of OJ.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Toast the pecans for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside to cool and then chop into small pieces.

Grease, or spray with a nonstick spray, 36 miniature muffin tins. Set aside while you make the batter.

In a separate bowl, whisk to combine, the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat in the sour cream, orange extract, and orange zest. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. *Note - I read on the website that it's very important not to overmix the batter because that can make the muffins dry - this may be common knowledge but I wasn't aware:) Fold in the toasted pecans and drained pineapple.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. (Length of baking time will depend on the size and color of the muffin tins used, i.e. dark colored pans will cook the muffins faster than lighter colored pans.) *Note - I did not bake for 15 minutes, more like 12 because I used a dark pan. Also mine didn't really brown on top.

While the muffins are baking combine the glaze ingredients (sugar and orange juice) in a small cup.

Remove the muffins from the oven and place on a wire rack. While the muffins are still very warm, brush them with the orange glaze.

Makes about 3 dozen miniature muffins



2 comments:

mollie said...

These sound SO tasty but instead of attempting them myself I might wait and try them next time you bake them first, hehe ;)

camby said...

Hmmm, these sound good. We'll take three dozen in the mail. Oh, you don't deliver them????