Friday, May 29, 2009

Lettuce Salads?

This summer we are going to be on lettuce overload because we've planted a garden with lots of lettuce (and other good things, too) and we've also signed up for a crop share which starts next week. I'm really excited about the challenge of incorporating even more veggies into our menu but also know that I'm going to need to get pretty creative to use what we have.

Last night we had the sort of meal that I think will be more common than not this summer. I threw together what we had around the house with some fresh lettuce from the garden. It was tasty.

Chicken, Pear and Green Bean Salad

Two grilled chicken breasts (cut into bit sized pieces)
Sliced ripe pear
1 c. or so of steamed grean beans (so they are still very crunchy though)
Fresh picked lettuce

Toss with this dressing that I posted the other day.

Do you have a favorite lettuce salad that's a little out of the norm that you could share?

1 comment:

MsAmanda said...

I have a really good salad recipe that has bacon, toasted sesame seeds and blue cheese. It would be way tasty with a chicken breast or shrimp on top.

I'll try to post it this weekend.

This recipe would be a good way to incorporate lettuce into a pasta dish. I just made it last night with mixed field greens. So good.

http://cooking-gals.blogspot.com/2009/01/lemon-fusilli-pasta.html