Friday, May 29, 2009

MI Salad

I had never heard of these salads until I started dating John whose friends make this delicious salad in some variety.

Michigan Salad
Mixed greens
Toasted pecans
Crumbled blue cheese
Dried cherries
Served with a raspberry vinaigrette

I've also eaten this salad with walnuts instead of pecans and gorgonzola substituted for the blue cheese. Also had it with blueberries, raspberries and thinly sliced granny-smith apples. Lastly, you could top with a grilled chicken breast or salmon if you wanted a heartier dish. Bottom line, play around and add/subtract what you like and don't :)

Here's a recipe for the vinaigrette from allrecipes.com:
1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 cup raspberry wine vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar (I skip the sugar myself)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, oregano, and pepper. Shake well.

1 comment:

camby said...

I love these salad combinations too. Sliced pear is also good in them if they're not too ripe.