Sunday, August 2, 2009

Snickerdoodles

I have been looking for a cookie recipe that will freeze well and I've also been looking for a good snickerdoodle recipe. Somehow, I didn't trust the recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I made these yesterday and they are amazing. The 2 t.s of cream of tartar really give them a kick, in a good way.

In terms of freezing, I wanted a recipe that I could freeze in balls and pull out when people are coming over or we just wanted a sweet treat. I haven't cooked the ones I froze, but I think they will work. Couldn't find my paddle attachment, so I just mixed with my handmixer.



Snickerdoodles

In mixer, with paddle attachment beat:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening

Meanwhile, in another bowl whisk together:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 t. salt

Once butter and shortening are mixed and fluffy, slowly add:
1 1/2 c. sugar

Mix until fluffy. Add:
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract

With mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour. Roll into small balls, coat in cinnamon sugar and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes (I cooked for about 8 since I like soft cookies, could have cooked another minute or so).

No comments: