Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Slab Pie

Why I have never, in all my life, heard of a slab pie until I saw this Sour Cherry Slab Pie recipe on Smitten Kitchen. I'm not a huge cherry fan (though I love the artificial flavor), but I'm quite interested in the idea of a slab pie.

A slab pie has double the crust and filling as a regular pie. Rectangular since it is baked in jelly roll or high sided baking sheet, they are easier to transport and hold onto. Now we are onto something.

For the last few weeks I've been thinking about doubling this recipe with the frozen rhubarb and strawberries I have in my freezer.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
3 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1/2 inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
1 cup strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
Unbaked pastry for two-crust 9 inch pie(If making a 10 inch pie, or just want more filling, use 4.5 cups of rhubarb, 1.5 cups strawberries, and 1 1/4 cup of sugar)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, salt, and orange rind. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Turn into a pastry lined pan. Top with the pastry, trim the edge, and crimp the top and bottom edges together. Cut slits in the top for the steam to escape.

Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F, and bake an additional 30-40 minutes longer (40 to 50 minutes longer if doing a 10-inch pie). Cool on a rack. Serve warm or cold. If you do cool to room temperature, the juices will have more time to thicken.

Photos from Smitten Kitchen.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You know those apple pastry squares I've brought into work a time or two. They're made just like this!