Thursday, August 27, 2009

Greek salad dressing and the salad, too

This salad dressing is the root cause of why practically half of the meals I consumed in August either involved Greek salads or had me wishing I had a Greek salad in front of me.

I found it at a random TV station's Web site that popped up during a Google search for "Panera greek salad dressing recipe." Their recipe makes two cups, but since I half it and only make one cup at a time, I'm posting my halfsies recipe along with my modifications and secret ingredient. The original recipe is available at the link above.

Jennifer's WBIR Panera Greek Salad Dressing
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon minced green onion
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon basil (I used dried, but you could do fresh, too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon or whole-grain mustard
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Squeeze of lemon juice (Secret ingredient that MAKES this dressing. Not sure how much I actually squeeze in here. Maybe about a small wedge's worth)
  • 1/2 cup and 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Whisk together all ingredients except olive oil in a mixing bowl. Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking.

For the salad itself, I go with romaine lettuce, kalamata olives, red onions, grape or cherry tomatoes and feta. If you like cucumbers, those would fit in nicely as well. The salad is best tossed with the dressing so everything is coated. Drizzling the dressing on top just doesn't cut it. Enjoy!