Thursday, January 28, 2010

Italian Meatloaf

This is based on one of the versions of meatloaf in the Joy of Cooking. I found some Italian seasoned ground turkey at the grocery store last weekend and thought it would be a good accompaniment to the manicotti I was making.

Next time I’ll skip the seasoned turkey so I can I have more control of the flavor. It was a little spicy for me. I also think I’ll try sautéing shallots and red peppers, as well as adding some parmesan cheese.

Italian Meatloaf
1lb ground meat
1 to 3 eggs, depending on how dry your meat or bread crumbs are
¾ to 1 cup bread crumbs (I love panko breadcrumbs for meatloaf, but used herb & garlic this time)
1 to 2 cups onions or shallots (I liked the shallots myself)
1 t salt
½ t pepper
Seasonings of your choice: oregano, Italian seasoning, parsley, basil
½ cup of marinara sauce

Heat oven to 350. Mix ingredients through sauce and mound together in a greased pan. Spread marinara sauce over meatloaf and bake until thermometer reads 160 degrees, about 1 hour.

No comments: