Friday, April 3, 2009

New (and better?) chocolate chips

You know how everyone has a signature dish they bring to parties or family gatherings? Mine is chocolate chip cookies.I know terribly boring, but I make big honking ones that soft in the middle and crunchy on the edge cookies. My secret is not my recipe (it is the one of the back of the toll house bag), but a few things I do differently.

Last week someone who'd had my cookies gave me this article from Cooks Illustrated about their search for the perfect chocolate chip cookie to see if the methodology was the same. I never understood the science behind why my cookies turned out like they do, but the article explained everything. This is all a roundabout way to get to my new favorite chocolate chip:

When I made these drunkcakes, I bought some Ghiradelli 60% cacoa bittersweet chips because I was lazy and didn't wan to chop up a bar of chocolate. I had some leftover, so I tossed them in with the last batch of cookies I made. They made the cookies so much better! The bittersweet mixed with the sugary dough was so tasty. They had intense flavor and the chips spread out into thin disks, so there's more to go around. And lo and behold, the Cook's Illustrated article rated them as the top chocolate chip. Yum!

image from here.

1 comment:

Digital Universe said...

Very unique blog.
Nice presentation. Wow...

I like your blog.
Please visit:
http://heaven-view.blogspot.com

Keep blogging.
Good luck.