Friday, April 10, 2009

My Grandma's Noodles

My family in Montana looks forward to holidays together for a lot of reasons but one of the main ones is Grandma Jane's homemade noodles. They are just simple buttered noodles but they are, oh so good. Grandma now has the Kitchenaid mixer and noodle maker attachment but up until a few years ago, she would hand cut the noodles. I cannot imagine.

For my birthday this year, my parents bought me the noodle maker attachment and I've been a bit intimidated by it. I finally made noodles last week though and they turned out great! Tonight I will be making four batches to serve with Easter dinner.


Homemade Noodles

3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 T. water
1 c. flour or as needed to make a stiff dough (I added a bit more to make the dough less sticky)


Slightly beat eggs and add water. Mix in flour. Knead until smooth. Roll thin. Cut narrow or wide as you like. Spread apart on a tea towel to dry. Cook noodles for about four minutes. Drain and add desired amount of butter.

(I also followed the tips and instructions in the manual for the attachment)

The cut noodles drying:

The cooked noodles:Proof that they were good:


2 comments:

mollie said...

well those are simply the cutest taste-testers I've ever seen :)

MsAmanda said...

I ahve been meaning to comment, but haven't had a chance. i like-a the tutorials.

I think with recipes like this, there's so much affection for the person and the recip that you think you'll never do it right or you will mess it up. Its almost easier to let it be their thing instead of yours.

I second Mollie's notion:)