Thursday, November 12, 2009

Balsalmic Glazed Pearl Onions

Looking at my calendar this week, I realized we were in Italy a year ago. Besides the coffee and amazing little sandwiches, my favorite thing was marinated onions. We had them in Florence as a part of the cheese tray.

When I got home I immediately set about trying to figure them out. I tried combinations of shallots and pearl onions with red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and a dash of white wine vinegar. I cooked nearly all of the onions/shallots, but I did do one test batch that was raw. They burned like the fire of a thousand somethings.

Research aside, I think I found a better and more specific recipe from Everyday Food. I'm going to try them out soon, maybe Thanksgiving with these, some brie and toasted pecans.

Balsamic-glazed Pearl Onions
2 bags (10 oz) red or white pearl onions, trimmed and peeled
1/2 C dry white wine
3 T butter
coarse salt and pepper
1/4 C balsamic vinegar

In large skillet, combine onions, wine, butter and 1 C water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until onions are tender and liquid has evaporated; about 15 minutes (if onions are large, increase cooking time and add more water)

Add vinegar and cook until sauce thickens and onions are glazed, about 3 minutes. To store, refrigerate for 1 day.

No comments: