Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chicken Breasts with Balsamic & Garlic

I've had the Food Network Kitchen Making it Easy cookbook for awhile, but I didn't get around to this recipe until last week. Hello keeper.

Chicken Breasts with Balsamic and Garlic

2 T vegetable oil
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 T flour
2 T unsalted butter, softened
5 garlic cloves, smashed
1 sprig rosemary, plus 4 for garnish
1/3 C balsamic vinegar
1 2/3 C chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat; add oil. Dry chicken, season with salt and pepper. Lay smooth side down and cook, turning over once, for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to dish and cook for 10 to 12 minutes while you make the sauce.

While chicken cooks, use a fork to work flour and butter into a paste.

Add garlic and 1 sprig rosemary to skillet over medium-high heat and toss to toast slightly, about 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, scraping browned bits and simmer until vinegar begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Whisk in flour mixture a bit at a time and bring to a boil. Simmer until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.

Put chicken on platter, pour sauce over and garnish with rosemary sprigs.

My notes: this made a lot of sauce for my three breasts. So I could see making half the sauce. Also, I omitted the rosemary and it turned out great. The chicken was so tender and flavorful, and the sauce was like a balsamic gravy. I served with acorn squash and salad.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I made this last night! I had it starred in Reader for months. It was most excellent (I omitted the rosemary, too, because I just don't keep that kind of stuff on hand).