Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cheddar Broccoli Soup



Amanda requested soups...I have made this one before and just made it again this past Monday. It's easy to make. It's also something that I usually have the ingredients on hand for and can add other things like the carrots that I added this week.

CHEDDAR BROCCOLI SOUP

INGREDIENTS
2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I often use more)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS
Bring broth to a boil. Add broccoli and onion. Cook for five minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
In a separate bowl, slowly add milk to flour, and mix until well blended.
Stir flour mixture into broth mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until soup is thick and bubbly. Add cheese; stir until melted. Add seasonings and serve.


NOTE
The broccoli is pretty easy to break down in the soup but if I'm adding something like carrots, I will usually puree the soup for a creamy texture.

No comments: