Wednesday, January 7, 2009

White Chicken Chili

Mmmmm, I have made this a few times, including last night. So good and could be low fat depending on which toppings you use. My favorite are a squirt of lime juice and green onions.
White Chicken Chili
1 c. diced onion
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 14 oz. can chicken broth
2-4 chicken breasts, cooked, with broth to equal 14 oz, shredded. (I just add a little water and a bullion cube to whatever chicken broth is left over from cooking the chicken to equal 14 oz.)
1 4 oz. can diced chilies, undrained
2 cans great northern beans, white, drained
18 oz. shoepeg corn, undrained (often sold in 11 oz. cans by Green Giant--I use a 15 oz can of Del Monte fresh cut corn)**
3 T. lime juice
1 t. lemon juice
1 t. cumin seed
1 t. ground cumin
Saute onion and garlic in a little oil. Add other ingredients and simmer to blend flavors, about 20 minutes. When served, garnish with grated cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, green onion and avocado. Add slightly crushed tortilla chips if desired.

**When I made it last night, I wasn't paying attention and drained the corn but not the beans. Turned out just fine! Photo from Your Heart Out.

5 comments:

mollie said...

mmmm this sounds delish! i'm going to have to try it out, maybe this weekend!

camby said...

This does look good. I might be making it this weekend too!

mollie said...

I made this chili yesterday and we LOVED it! Will definitely become a winter staple in my house- thanks for the recipe Amanda!

MsAmanda said...

good I'm glad!

I think its the lime juice and the green chilies that really makes it pop. We take it to the extreme and put lime tostitos on top. We have a lime problem-o.

camby said...

I made this tonight. It was a hit! Parker couldn't get enough.

Thanks for posting, Amanda.