Monday, March 8, 2010

Yummy Baked Salmon

On Saturday night Laura's husband Barry made the most delicious salmon dish. I'm sharing here with his permission. In his words: Share it. Modify it. Make it your own. For someone like me, whose salmon repertoire includes grilled or in a foil pouch, this recipe is a welcome addition. So, so good. It reminded me of dishes I've had at Thai-fusion places.

Medium onion, slightly caramelized in bacon grease and butter.
1-2 Serrano pepper seeded and finely chopped (I used one, but a little more heat with coconut can be good. You could also use jalapeƱos or other hot pepper.)
½ yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
1 red sweet pepper
¼ to ½ tsp ground cardamom
1 ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
3 tomatoes peeled and diced
2 cloves minced garlic
Handful of crushed mint leaves. I used dried but would prefer fresh.
1 14oz can of coconut milk. To this add a healthy sprinkling of sea salt and gradually whisk in the fresh-squeezed juice of two limes.

Rinse salmon fillets or steaks and place in glass casserole dish. Mix all ingredients and pour over fish. Bake at 300 for 40-60 minutes. Fish is done when it is opaque temp 135-140 degrees.

I’ve sometimes used other spices like cloves and allspice.

No comments: