Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts

More and new veggies are on my list of 2010 to-dos. Last night, I finally made brussels sprouts. I realize they aren't exactly an earth shattering new vegetable, but my mom did not make them when I was growing up so they were new to me.

I knew boiling/sautéing them wasn't going to work (texture didn't sound appealing and I had three pots on the stove last night). Plus, my Mad Hungry cookbook said roasting them was the best way to eat them (in her opinion).

At the grocery store, I picked small sprouts with tightly formed leaves. They were really, really good. Crunchy, salty and fresh tasting. The only issue I have is the smell. Brussell sprouts are related to cabbage and you can smell it.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Small, closed sprouts
Salt & pepper
Olive oil

Heat the oven to 350 or 375. Wash the sprouts, slice off the ends and remove any sad/overly green leaves. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the sprouts with a fork.

Next time, I might hit them with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the come out of the oven.

No comments: