Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Turkey Chili Con Refried Beans

I’m not sure there is any recipe more subjective than chili. Do you honestly know any two people who make it the same? I love how creative chili can be, and how it can be tweaked with an ingredient or two and become something completely different. Here’s my take.

Turkey Chili Con Refried Beans

I add or subtract amounts depending on how many I’m feeding. Just don’t skimp on the seasonings.

Several garlic cloves, minced
Red and green peppers, minced
jalapeno, minced
Onion, minced
1 lb turkey burger (not the super lean kind)
1 package of chili mix
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Paprika
Pepper
3-5 cans of Mexican style or chili ready tomatoes
2 can fat free refried beans

Saute peppers, onions and garlic until soft. I used to have some chili flavored olive oil and would use that for a kickin' chili. Now I use water or chicken broth so the chili doesn’t get too oily. Once soft, add burger and chili package. Season liberally with seasonings. Then more garlic powder for good measure.

Add meat mixture to crock pot, add tomatoes and refried beans. I prefer to cook on low for 8 hours rather than high for 4. I was always check for flavor an hour in or so, then season as needed. Here’s where I differ from most. Ala Cincinnati chili, I serve mine over rice. Then top with cheese, sour cream and saltines.

Next time I make it, I’m also going to make these cheese muffins.

2 comments:

camby said...

Oh wow, those muffins are dangerous because at any given time, I have all of those ingredients in the house.

camby said...

I made the cheese muffins the other day. They were really good. I used a half cup of whole wheat flour and a whole cup of regular flour. I think I used a half cup less cheese than it called for (three cups is a LOT!) but I got distracted and lost count. Anyway, they are worth a try.