Monday, May 31, 2010

Cold Drip Iced Coffee

I know this method was all in the news last year, but I just got around to trying it this weekend. This makes two weeks worth of concentrate and is significantly less bitter than hot brewed coffee poured over ice. And, its easy.

3/4 lb (1 12 oz bag) of good quality beans, coarsely ground
8 C cold water

Soak grounds in filtered or distilled water overnight in the fridge. Strain grounds through sieve or cheesecloth and store concentrate in a pitcher. To serve, pour into a tall glass filled with ice and top with water or milk.
A few notes from the InStyle article:
  • Use micro-lot organic premium beans, grown in the shade for the best quality brew. I used beans from Cameron's.
  • Using filtered water makes the coffee smooth and more flavorful, same goes for ice cubes.
  • This type of coffee is much sweeter and less acidic
I'm buzzing from my cup this morning, the concentrate is much more concentrated than I realized. I could have added a lot more ice cubes! I added some mint leaves from our garden and used the grounds as mulch around our tomato and pepper plants.

No comments: